[foofus-tools] Medusa SSH Module Issue

Nathan Grandbois ngrandbois at microsolved.com
Wed Aug 20 13:44:17 PDT 2008

jmk wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:38 -0400, Nathan Grandbois wrote:
>> Synopsis:
>> Medusa SSH scanning module fails after 3 login attempts with the
>> following error:
>> ERROR: Failed to retrieve supported authentication modes. Aborting...
>> ERROR: No supported authentication methods located.
>
> <snip>

<snip>

> I've attached a patch with the changes since v1.4 was released. The
> module should now restart the connection when the server tells it to go
> away after a few failed attempts. Please let me know if this fixes the
> problem for you.

<snip>

> It seems that starting with libssh2 0.18, we're occasionally getting a
> double free. As a quick fix/hack, I had just commented out the free() in
> LIBSSH2_FREE_FUNC. The attached patch contains this hack. If that
> doesn't fix the issue, send me a backtrace and I'll take a look at it.
>
> Joe

Joe,

Thanks a lot man, the patch worked great. I've patched our install on
Ubuntu 8.04 and on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and fully tested.
Also, using the correct password no longer crashes the app.

Thanks again for the quick response and great tools!!

_nathan
Nathan Grandbois, CISSP           ngrandbois at microsolved.com
Security Analyst                  (614) 351-1237 x 212
PGP Key Available by Request
MicroSolved is security expertise you can trust!

HoneyPoint Security Server
Attackers get stung, instead of you!
http://www.microsolved.com/honeypoint