[foofus-tools] Fgdump/Ophcrack question

Ron ron at skullsecurity.net
Sun May 30 09:29:07 PDT 2010

When you say "Desktop", I assume you mean Windows? Which version of Windows, and which filesystem (I'm assuming NTFS?)

Ophcrack can definitely read any NTFS-based filesystem, but it may require manually mounting it. From Ophcrack, run "dmesg | grep sd" and "dmesg | grep hd" -- Hopefully, you'll see drives like sda2, hda2, etc. One is going to be your CDRom, that isn't what you want, but one should be your actual harddrive. Mount it like this:

mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp

Then check if /mnt/tmp countains what you want. If not, umount it with:
umount /mnt/tmp

And try the next drive.

Hope that helps!
Ron